EDITOR'S NOTE: Attractions in this listing may be seasonal. Please call ahead to make sure attractions are open.
BETHANY BEACH MUSEUM, 214 Garfield Parkway, Behind Town Hall, Bethany Beach. Open Noon to 3 p.m. Sundays (10 a.m. to 4 p.m. June through August) 1 to 3 p.m. Tuesdays-Thursdays. Free Adm. 302-539-8011. Maritime memorabilia.
BETHANY BEACH BOARDWALK - Stroll along the noncommercial boardwalk and take in the Atlantic breezes. Home of the annual Boardwalk Arts Festival and summer performances.
BETHANY BAY GOLF CLUB - Mid length 9 hole public golf course. 302-539-3833.
BEAR TRAP DUNES GOLF COURSE-Located off Rt 26, near Ocean View. Par 72, 18 hole championship course, 1-877-BEARTRAP.
FENWICK ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE - Operational from 1859 to 1978; however, public outcry led to the reinstallation of the light and it's been in service ever since. Home to the Transpeninsular Marker. 302-539-2100.
FENWICK ISLAND STATE PARK - Located north of the Delaware Maryland line, the seashore park offers guarded swimming in summer and a bath house. 302-539-9060.
FISHING FACILITIES - Marinas are available, such as Bayville, 302-436-5981; Beaston's, 302-539-3452; South Shore, 539-7384; and Indian River at Del Seashore, 302-227-3474.
HOLTS LANDING STATE PARK - Located on the southern shore of Indian River, the park offers family fun, picnicking, playground, boating, fishing and claming. 302-539-9060.
SALT POND GOLF COURSE - Par 60; driving range and putting green. 302-539-7525.
DELAWARE SEASHORE STATE PARK - Six miles of ocean and bay shoreline, campground, 250 slip marina with charter and head boats. 302-227-2800.
DISCOVERIES FROM THE SEA MUSEUM - Displays of local shipwreck artifacts and shells from around the globe. 302-539-9366.
SCUBA DIVING - Wreck diving off Delaware's coastline. Sport divers can find literally hundreds of vessels including the China wreck at the mouth of the Delaware Bay, where many pieces of ironstone china have been found; the Elizabeth Palmer which sank in 1915; and the Moonstone, which sank in 1943. For instruction, Old Inlet Dive Shop, 302-227-0999.
BOWERS BEACH MARITIME MUSEUM offers a variety of maritime memorabilia. Main and Williams Streets, North Bowers. Open weekends June-August. 335-3462.
MASON-DIXON LINE - Double cornerstone marker located west of town, erected in 1768, as the southern end of the only north-south portion of the Mason Dixon Line.
HIGHBALL SIGNAL - Delmar, known for its railroading history, is home to the highball signal and a 1929 caboose serves as a museum for railroad artifacts. Delmarva Model Railroad Club hosts holiday open houses for enthusiasts. 302-846-2645.
U.S. 13 DRAGWAY - Delaware's eighth leading visitor attraction, providing drag and dirt track stock car racing. 302-875-1911.
DOVER DOWNS SLOTS AND INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY - June and September brings NASCAR racing to this super-speedway just north of Dover. Harness racing runs November through March. Dover Downs Slots features 1,000 slots and a restaurant open daily. 674-4600. 800-711-5882.
DELAWARE AGRICULTURAL MUSEUM offers 200 years of farm life in Delaware exhibited through displays and historic buildings. The museum is open daily. U.S. 13. 734-1618.
DOVER AIR COMMAND MUSEUM, is located on Dover Air Force Base. The C-5A Galaxy, the largest cargo plane in the free world, is based at Dover and provides a common sight in the Dover skies. The Museum houses a C-47, C-54 and C-45, plus other items of aviation history. Off U.S. 113.. 677-3376.
JOHN DICKINSON PLANTATION John Dickinson (1732-1808) was known as the 'Penman of the American Revolution'. The plantation is furnished with period antiques. Landscaping and outbuildings have been constructed to recreate the property to the 19th Century. Off U.S. 113, south of Dover, on Kitts Hummock Road. 739-3277.
WOODBURN, THE GOVERNOR'S HOUSE Built in 1790, this handsome Georgian residence has been the official Governor's mansion since 1965. 151 Kings Hwy. House open by appointment only. Grounds open daily. 739-5656. LEGISLATIVE HALL was built in 1932 and is host to Delaware's General Assembly, made up of the Senate and House of Representatives. The walls have paintings of former Governors and Delaware heroes of World War II. Open week days. 739-5807.
CAPITAL SQUARE, located in the center of Delaware's government buildings, features Delaware's replica of the Liberty Bell.
THE DELAWARE STATE VISITOR CENTER features changing museum exhibits. Friendly knowledgeable personnel offer assistance with Dover and Kent County information. Federal Street. 739-4266.
CHRIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH built in 1734. A monument to Delaware's Caesar Rodney, signer of the Declaration of Independence, can be found in the cemetery. The cemetery is also the burial site of many famous Delawareans. Open weekdays, South State and Water streets. 734-5731.
MEETING HOUSE GALLERIES occupy the 1790 Presbyterian Church and the adjacent 1880 Sunday school building. Gallery I showcases Delaware archaeology from prehistoric times through the Colonial period. Gallery II houses 'Main Street Delaware' an exhibit including a general store, print shop and pharmacy from the early 1900s. 739-4266.
THE JOHNSON VICTROLA MUSEUM designed as a 1920Ős Victrola dealer's store, is a tribute to Eldridge Reeves Johnson, inventor and founder of the Victor Talking Machine Company, today known as RCA. 739-4266.
SPENCE'S BAZAAR is an open-air and enclosed auction and flea market. Specialties include homemade sausages, baked goods and preserves from the Amish community. Open Tuesdays and Fridays, South and New streets. 734-3441.
CONSTITUTION PARK is a mini park dedicated to the Constitution of the United States. On display is a twelve-foot bronze quill resting on a four-foot cube, upon which is inscribed the entire Constitution as it has evolved. This is believed to be the only such sculpture in the nation. Delaware was the first to ratify on December 7, 1787, in a tavern just one short block from the park. South State Street.
DOVER PAR 3 & DRIVING RANGE 18 holes. 1 fee to play all day. 302-674-8275.
GOLDEN FLEECE TAVERN From December 3 through December 7, 1787, Delaware delegates to the ratifying convention met at the Golden Fleece Tavern on Court House Square. That Square is now known as The Green, South State Street.
THE GREEN. It was on the soil in 1776 that Delaware's Continental Regiment was mustered for service in the Revolution. In 1776, the Declaration of Independence was read to the public, sparking off a celebration which witnessed a public burning of King George III's portrait. S. State Street. Includes The Old State House, Delaware Supreme Court, Old Post Office, and Kent County Courthouse.
KILLENS POND STATE PARK is located in lower Kent County and features camping, boating, fishing, trails, public swimming pool and much more. Off U.S. 13, south of Felton. New water park open Memorial Day-Labor Day. 284-4526.
BARRATT'S CHAPEL was erected in 1780, and boasts that it is the 'Cradle of Methodism in America'. The Methodists established the new world chapter of their religion here in 1784. One mile north of Frederica on U.S. 113. Museum open weekend afternoons. 335-5544.
ELSIE WILLIAMS DOLL COLLECTION EXHIBIT. Delaware Tech Library, Rt. 18, Georgetown. Open 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. weekdays; 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Fridays. Free admission. 302-856-5400. Dolls from the Elsie Steele Williams Collection, wife of U.S. Senator John J. Williams. Collection is valued at more than $80,000 and includes famous dolls such as Effanbee, Madam Alexander, Bru and Suzanne Gibson.
THE CIRCLE. On the National Historic Register and site of Return Day, held every two years the Thursday following election day. Nearby is the red brick Greek Revival Courthouse and the original Courthouse just off the circle.
TREASURES OF THE SEA. Museum located at the Delaware Tech Campus featuring gold, jewels and artifacts from the Atocha, a Spanish galleon discovered near Key West. Also, visit the Doll Museum and Trees of the States arboretum while there. 302-856-5700.
TREES OF THE STATES ARBORETUM EXHIBIT. Delaware Tech, Rt. 18, Georgetown. Open during regular college hours. Call for Group Tour information. Admission is free. 302-856-5400. Originated in 1976 during the bicentennial celebration and includes the 'Trees of the States' exhibit, a self-guided walking tour of 51 trees from each state. Trees are identified with a marker noting its scientific classification and state of origin. Brochures are available.
HARRINGTON MUSEUM is a depository of local artifacts indigenous to the Mispillion Hundred. Pictures, school-related artifacts, antique household items and clothing. Slide programs. Open the third Sunday of each month from 2-4, Mon.-Fri. 9-4, or by appt. Located at 110 Fleming Street in Harrington.
HARRINGTON RAILROAD MUSEUM features a preserved signal tower, a restored 1926 caboose and a crossing guard watchman's house. Open the third Sunday of each month from 2-4, Mon.-Fri. 9-4, and by request. Located at Clark and Hanley Streets in Harrington. 398-9617.
MESSICK AGRICULTURE MUSEUM, INC. features old tractors, implements, tools, antique kitchen, smokehouse equipment, gasoline engines, treadmills, antique wagons, the first tractor John Deere made and more. Located on DE 14 W., on Vernon Road, Harrington. 398-3729.
HARRINGTON RACEWAY & MIDWAY SLOTS. Home to the Delaware State Fair every July. Seasonal harness racing and Midway slots. Midway slots is open daily and features a breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet. 888-88-SLOTS.
BETHEL HERITAGE MUSEUM, North Main Street. Call first for hours. Free admission. 302-875-5425 or 302-875-5871. Early shipbuilding history.
BIKING INN-TO-INN. Customized biking tours between Southern Delaware Inns. 302-629-9604.
HISTORIC DISTRICT. Laurel is host to more homes on the National Historic Register than any other town in Delaware-800. Take a tour of Front Street and Indian Trail along Broad Creek.
BARGAIN BILL'S FLEA MARKET. The Largest Flea Market on the Shore, is located on US 13 and DE 9 and weekends year round. 302-875-2478 or 875-9958.
TRAP POND STATE PARK. One of Delaware's nicest state parks offering camping, nature trails, swimming, paddle boats and canoes, bird watching, picnicking and more. Don't forget to visit Trussom's Pond, home of the northernmost stand of bald cypress trees in North America. 302-875-5153.
OLD CHRIST CHURCH. Built in 1771 and known for its unpainted heart of pine interior. Open Sunday afternoons in July, east of Laurel on DE 24. 302-875-3644. ROUTE 13 OUTLET MARKET. Over 100 vendors located all at one indoor location on US 13 and DE Rt. 462. Open weekends year-round. 302-875-4800.
CAPE HENLOPEN STATE PARK. Where the Delaware Bay meets the Atlantic Ocean, featuring sandy beaches, nature trails, camping, bird and nature watching. World War II observation tower and Seaside Nature Center's educational programs, saltwater aquariums & displays. 302-645-8983.
CAPE MAY LEWES FERRY. The 70 minute auto and passenger ferry ride take you across the Delaware Bay to Cape May, New Jersey. Celebrating 31 years of history, the ferry is undergoing extensive renovations to its fleet of five vessels. 800-64-FERRY.
FISHER-MARTIN HOUSE. 120 Kings Highway, Lewes. Open weekdays. Free admission. 302-645-8073. Home to Lewes Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Center.
LEWES HARBOR. Perhaps one of the most picturesque spots in Southern Delaware, this area of the canal has been painted by many artists through the years. It is home to numerous head, charter and Delaware bay. Includes Angler's Fishing Center, Fisherman's Wharf and Lewes Harbor Marina.
LEWES HISTORICAL COMPLEX. 110 Shipcarpenter Street, Lewes. Open 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesdays-Fridays; 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturdays, June 14 to Sept. 3; Guided Tours 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Admission is $5; with guided tour, $6. Walking tours of the historic complex begin at Rabbit's Ferry House, Shipcarpenter and W. Third Streets. Reservations required for groups. Group tours welcome, 302-645-7670. Highlights include Burton Ingram House, Cannonball House, Marine Museum, Doctor's Office, Early Plank House, Ellegood House, Lightship Overfalls, Rabbit's Ferry House, Thompson's Country Store.
MIDWAY SPEEDWAY & WHITE WATER MOUNTAIN, Midway Shopping Center. Waterslide, Cart Racers and family activity pool. 302-645-2042.
MIDWAY PAR 3 GOLF COURSE Par 3; putting greens, 18 holes, driving range. Open all year. All Day Greens fees. 302-645-7955.
NASSAU VALLEY VINEYARDS. Located in Nassau near Lewes, featuring a self guided tour of the history of wine making. 302-645-WINE.
HERITAGE GOLF CLUB, Rt 1. 9 Hole par 35 golf course. 302-644-3860.
MARSH ISLAND GOLF CLUB, Off Rt 24 near Angola, 18 hole par 65 golf course. 302-945-GOLF.
SKATEWORLD, Midway Shopping Center. Roller skating. 645-0463.
ZWAANENDAEL MUSEUM. Early history of Lewes, changing exhibitions and artifacts, donations accepted. 302-645-1148.
ABBOTT'S MILL NATURE CENTER. An environmental, historical nature center providing tours of the historic grist mill as well as education programs, hiking, canoe trips and nature tours. 302-422-0847.
HISTORIC AREAS. Milford is home to three National Register areas which features three historic bed and breakfast inns.
PARSON THORNE MANSION. Built ca. 1735 and purchased in 1735 by Rev. Sydenham Thorne, who was one of the cityŐs founders. Open first Saturday and Sunday of each month, May through October. 302-422-3115.
MILFORD MUSEUM. 121 S. Walnut Street. Open 2 to 4 p.m., Saturdays and Sundays. Free admission, 302-422-1127. Exhibits of early Milford history including shipbuilding and collection of E. Millis Hurley Library, a collection of Delaware history books. (Continued on Page 22) Southern Delaware Attractions - (from page 20)
SLAUGHTER BEACH. Fishing village near Milford on the Delaware Bay and home to the World Championship Weakfish Tournament. Boat ramp and public beach facilities. 302-422-3344.
BAYWOOD GREENS, Rt 24 & Long Neck Road. "Exclusively Public" 18 hole Championmship Course. 888-844-2254.
NANTICOKE INDIAN POWWOW AND MUSEUM. Located at DE 24 and DE 5 east of Millsboro, the museum showcases the history of the Nanticokes. The Powwow, held annually in September, provides ceremonial dancing, story telling, crafts and food. 302-945-7022.
THE ROOKERY GOLF COURSE, Off Rt 1 & 16. Par 71, 18 hole championship course, 302-684-3080.
HISTORIC DISTRICT. Milton's historic district contains 198 homes on the National Register featuring fine examples of Victorian and other architecture as well. LYDIA B. CANNON MUSEUM. 210-212 Union Street, Milton. Hours by appointment. Free admission. 302-684-8676. Early shipbuilding tools and records.
THE HOMESTEAD MANSION. Billed as Delaware's oldest house, dating from 1743; owned and operated by the Rehoboth Art League and is frequently the venue for art exhibitions and special events. 12 Dodds Lane, Henlopen Acres, Rehoboth Beach. 302-227-8408.
ANNA HAZZARD MUSEUM. Located on Christian Street, this 'camp meeting era' building serves as a museum. It is named for a former owner and civic leader, and early artifacts are on exhibit.
REHOBOTH BEACH BANDSTAND. The Bandstand, located at the Boardwalk on Rehoboth Avenue, has served residents and visitors alike for years with its free summer concert and entertainment series. For a seasonal schedule, visit City Hall or the Chamber of Commerce office. 302-227-6181.
DELAWARE SEASHORE STATE PARK. South of Dewey Beach to Indian River, ocean and bay beaches, camping, fishing and marina. Another marina is Pier Point Marina in Dewey Beach, 302-227-2808.
JOLLY TROLLEY. Open-air guided tour and transportation in Rehoboth area. 302-337-8978.
OUTLET SHOPPING. More than 150 designer name brand stores, tax free. Rehoboth Outlets, Route One, Rehoboth Beach. 302-226-9223.
OLD LANDING GOLF COURSE. Par 71 public golf course affording view of Rehoboth Bay. 302-227-3131.
REHOBOTH ART LEAGUE. Located in Henlopen Acres bordering Rehoboth Beach to the north. This art gallery serves as a focal point for artists and art lovers as well as special events all year long. 302-227-8408.
REHOBOTH BAY SHUTTLE. Transportation from Long Neck area to Dewey Beach via Rehoboth Bay waterways. 302-645-9380.
REHOBOTH BEACH RAILROAD STATION. Located at Lighthouse Island Park at the entrance to Rehoboth Avenue, the restored building now serves as the Rehoboth Beach-Dewey Beach Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Center. 302-227-2233.
JUNGLE JIM'S SPORTS COMPLEX. Waterslide, go-carts, bumper boats and more. 302-227-8121.
DELAWARE RESORT TRANSIT. Seasonal public transportation system in coastal resort areas. 302-226-2001.
HEARN'S MILL. Located on US 13A, an authentic operating mill on the National Historic Register built in 1885. Produced today are corn meal, flour and buckwheat pancake mixes, and the Olde Mill Country Store is open Monday through Saturday. 302-629-9690.
NANTICOKE RIVER. One of the most prestine, wild and scenic rivers on the East Coast, this river is one of the area's greatest natural resources. Boat launch, public docking and parking available. The river offers fishing and water sports as well as nature trails for bird watching. 302-629-9690.
THE CARRIAGE PLACE, INC. Horse and buggy operation farm featuring Clydesdales, Bridgeville. 302-628-0100.
GOV. ROSS MANSION AND PLANTATION. Home of a former Delaware Governor, this unique example of Italian Renaissance architecture offers a brick villa which is owned and operated by the Seaford Historical Society. It is open for guided tours the fourth Sunday of each month, during special events and for groups and motorcoach tours by appointment. 302-629-9690.
WOODLAND FERRY. One of the East Coast's last remaining cable-run ferry boats, this 200-year old ferry is maintained and operated by the State of Delaware. It offers brief but scenic crossings of the Nanticoke River, is free, and operates sunup to sundown, weather permitting. 302-629-9690.
WOODLAND GOLF PARK. Public course. 302-628-9700.
GREAT CYPRESS SWAMP. The most dominant geological feature on the Central Delmarva Peninsula, the Cypress Swamp is owned by the private, nonprofit conservation organization, Delaware Wild Lands, Inc. Access is controlled, but a glimpse into the western and southern edges provide a feel for nature and a glimpse at cypress trees.
RYAN'S BLUEBERRY FARM AND ORCHARD. More than 50,000 people visit this farm with 50 acres of blueberries from mid-June through July. There are also raspberries, blackberries and peaches. 302-328-7776.
ALLEE HOUSE is a fine example of Queen Anne style country house that was built in 1753 on Bombay Hook wildlife Refuge. Located east of Smyrna on Rt. 9. Open weekends. 653-6872,
BOMBAY HOOK REFUGE. A 15,122-acre haven for migrating and resident waterfowl. The Refuge offers auto tour routes, walking paths and observation towers. Located east of Smyrna on Rt. 9. 653-6872,
GARRISONS LAKE GOLF COURSE. 18 Hole Championship Course. 302-653-6349.
SMYRNA VISITORS CENTER was reopened and dedicated in 1991. This very attractive facility features restrooms, information center, petting zoo, large picnic area and playground. Open 24 hours. 5500 DuPont Highway, Smyrna. 19977. 302-653-8910.